'Sugar free' is a huge craze that is nothing new to the world of baking (thank you Pinterest!). But with our traditional baking recipes being so dear to us (who else has a go-to banana bread recipe they just can't let go of? Guilty!) it just feels too precious to trade. There's always the thought in the back of our head that a sugar free recipe might be healthier, but will it be as good?
Now, we know what you are thinking. It's impossible. But with banana's containing sugar (yes, the really healthy ones amongst you will say that this means it can't be 'sugar free'), it's actually super easy to make healthy changes that don't sacrifice taste. Are you tempted yet?
Taking basics from this BBC recipe, we have made some little changes to create a banana muffins that everyone will house the ingredients to make!
All you need is:
- 125g of self-raising flour (wholemeal or normal work well, just how healthy do you really want to be?)
- 1/2 tsp of baking powder - you may consider slightly more than this
- 2tsp of vanilla essence
- 1 egg
- 1tsp of milk - may need slightly more if you opt for less banana
- 2/3 ripe bananas mashed - 2, create a firmer muffin, 3 is more of a gooey texture
- Optional: sugar free syrup
- Optional: 2tsp of cinnamon - if you really cannot stand the taste of cinnamon you can omit
- Optional: 70g of nuts/sultanas
- Optional: sugar free chocolate
Preheat the oven to 180c /160c fan gas mark 4
The best bit about this recipe (even better than the sugar free)? It's the ultimate 'chuck it all in the bowl' method, making it the perfect child-proof recipe!
Add the flour, butter, baking powder and essence into the bowl and mix.
Add in the egg, and mix.
Add in the banana and your chosen added ingredient, we opted for chocolate and nuts!
Check the muffins after 20 minutes and then after 30. Cook until 40 minutes if you are making bread or larger muffins. When the tops of the muffins start to go golden, they are good to eat!
Super easy, quick and a great snack that is healthier than your beloved recipe and maybe even easier! Great to make a snack for those mid-morning hunger pangs or an alternative to that 3pm chocolate binge!
Give them a go and let us know what you think! x