Sunday, 8 September 2013

Repairing a missed stitch in your granny blanket

Have you ever been crocheting a HUGE round of your blanket and realised that on the previous row you have made a mistake - Big sigh !
If you're anything like me, I sit there pondering, thinking "no-one will know" and then try and carry on but something niggles away in the back of my mind and try as I might, I just can't carry on.
So many times I have spent ages and ages unpicking it and re-doing it, until I suddenly had a brainwave and came up with a solution
So if that has happened to you, next time you may just want to give this a go




On the blue row I have noticed that I only did 1 treble in the space - not too bad if my square was still relatively small and easy to unpick, but I need to repair it without unpicking it





The first thing you need to do is to unpick the row that you are currently working on, making sure that you go back far enough to be able to comfortably work on the mistake



                      
 Now this is the scary bit - you need to cut to the left of the mistake. 




Unpick the stitches to the left and make sure that you secure the stitch so that it doesn't come undone.
You also need to unpick to the right making sure that you have enough yarn to be able to re-join a new bit of yarn to it


               
 The yarn on the right hand side is long enough to join a new piece on to it




Starting with the joined yarn on the right hand side, crochet the right amount of stitches in each space- In the picture previous to the one above, you will see that the left hand stitches only has two trebles in it so when I reached this part I only needed to work one treble (so there were 3 in total in the space) and join the work with a slip stitch to the top of the row





All you need to do now is continue working on your project and once you have sewn the ends in, no-one will ever know that you had gone wrong





I hope this will help you, if you find like me that you can't carry on your project 

Happy Crocheting